Breast Cancer is the 2nd most commonly diagnosed cancer in females in Australia.
According to the Australian Government Cancer Australia research, in 2017, Breast Cancer was the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia and the most commonly diagnosed cancer in females. It is estimated that it will become the most commonly diagnosed cancer in 2021 among persons overall and females.
In 2017, there were 17,725 new cases of breast cancer diagnosed in Australia (137 males and 17,589 females). In 2021, it is estimated that 20,030 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in Australia (164 males and 19,866 females). In 2021, it is estimated that a person has a 1 in 15 (or 6.7%) risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer by the age of 85 (1 in 8 or 13% for females and 1 in 829 or 0.12% for males).
If you do have symptoms, they could include:
- new lumps or thickening in the breast, especially if in only one breast
- nipple sores, change in shape of the nipple
- nipple discharge or turning in
- changes in the size or shape of the breast
- skin of the breast dimpling
- discomfort or swelling in the armpit
- rash or red swollen breasts
- ongoing pain that is not related to your menstrual cycle that remains after your period and occurs in only one breast.
Some factors that increase your risk of breast cancer include:
- increasing age
- family history
- inheritance of mutations in the genes BRCA2, BRCA1 (more common with Ashkenazi Jewish heritage) and CHEK2
- exposure to female hormones (natural and administered)
- starting your period before the age of 12
- a previous breast cancer diagnosis
- a past history of certain non-cancerous breast conditions.
Lifestyle factors that can also slightly increase the risk of breast cancer in men and women include:
- being overweight
- not enough physical activity
- drinking alcohol.
There is also an association with some benign breast disease and past exposure to radiation.
IncontinenceProducts.com.au is an ACCREDITED NDIS PROVIDER
Did you know?
We are a registered NDIS provider of Incontinence Products, Consumables and Assistive Technology.
We offer the industry’s easiest and quickest NDIS order.
We are happy to provide quotes.
IncontinenceProducts.com.au manufactures a complete range of incontinence products including absorbent underwear and waterproof pads? Some of these products also double as period-proof underwear. Our products are Australian Made and manufactured, and we have been a Family owned business for over 32 years.
IncontinenceProducts.com.au delivers Australia-wide and internationally.
Should you require any product assistance …
Did you know that we manufacture a complete range of incontinence products including absorbent underwear and waterproof pads? Some of these products also double as period-proof underwear.
If you have any questions about incontinence or want to know what incontinence products are the best for you or your loved one don’t hesitate to contact our friendly Customer Service team
THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY QUESTION!
Australia: (02) 9531 2011
International: +61 2 9531 2011
Phone: +61 2 9531 2011
Disclaimer: No content on this website, or in this article, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.